The Club
The Circuit
Race Calendar
Pit Spaces
Club Fees
Circuit Entry and Rules
Kart racing was brought to the UK in 1958 by American airmen based here in the U.K.. After a successful demonstration at Silverstone in 1959 British rules were drawn up and soon large crowds were coming to meetings. At first the local club was called Banbury Kart Club, inaugurated in 1959 and holding the first meeting on Shenington (Edgehill) airfield in February 1960. Five thousand spectators came to see the twenty or thirty drivers competing, in those days there were not so many demands on leisure time. Facilities in the village did a roaring business that weekend and indeed on many others. During 1962 the club held one of the three rounds of the first World Karting Championships, the other two were in Italy and America. It is said that Stirling Moss attended. Briefly known as the British Kart Club, that name now kept up by the sport's Karting Magazine, the club joined forces with Solihull to become the Solihull and Shenington Kart Club in the mid-sixties. During the seventies it adopted the name we still have, Shenington Kart Racing Club. Initially the track was accessed from the village itself with various configurations of circuit. Within a couple of years it settled on the current site, always using both 'ends' of the track but with some variations coming back through what is now the pits parking. In part the move to the current site was forced by AP building its own oval banked test track on another part of the airfield. Despite the large attendance the club was soon in debt, so Peter Klaassen formed a new committee and made it a members only club to get finances back on an even keel. In the early nineties a small addition to the track included the Wilkins complex, named after Tony Wilkins, who has raced since the beginning and still competes now on his 210. During another low point in the club's history in 1969 Tony and wife Sue joined the committee and helped to foster a regenerative process that lasts today. The current club building was built in 1987/88, replacing earlier wooden structures. A famous concrete sided café gave rise to the corner of that name, built to replace a big wooden shed. The café no longer exists, but the club has built new toilets and a members room nearby to Café corner which was fully opened in 2004. 'Sheny', as it is affectionately known, is considered one of Britain's premier circuits, with many famous drivers having raced there. Nigel Mansell, of Formula 1 fame, raced regularly in the 210cc gearbox class after graduating from juniors. David Coulthard, Jenson Button and Anthony Davidson, current Formula 1 aces, visited with championship series. Johnny Herbert was another famous name to race at Shenington. The club has produced many famous drivers, both in karting and motor racing. The circuit is registered as a Grade 3 heritage motor racing venue in LARA’s (Land Access and Recreation Association) register.
History of the Airfield
The kart club shares the airfield with the present Shenington Gliding Club. Flying started from the site in 1941 as RAF Edgehill. Initially Washington bombers used the airfield for flying practice, but occasionally supplying aircraft and crew for operational bombing raids. A memorial stone is situated near the entrance to the kart circuit. The airfield is more famous for being the site of the test flights of the first jet powered aircraft. In 1942, and amongst great secrecy the tiny Gloster E28/39 came for its trials. The aircraft was fondly known as the “Flying Fart” by all who worked upon it. During 1943 Hurricanes and Martinets came to be based at the site. The Korean War in the early fifties required the re-opening of RAF Edgehill, this time as host to Harvard and Percival Prentice aircraft.
Local History
Close by lies the site of the Battle of Edge Hill, contested in October 23, 1642 during the Civil War. Re-enactments take place nearly every year. A good vantage point is from the local hostelry, the Castle Inn, situated on the top of the 211m Cotswold escarpment. The Castle Inn incorporates the famous octagonal Radway Tower, built by Sanderson Miller in 1750, and based on the Guy’s Tower of Warwick Castle. Charles I raised his standard at the tower before descending into the valley for the fateful battle, and passing on the way Radway Grange, home at the time of the Washington family, and now home to Prodrive Chairman Dave Richards. Also nearby is the National Trust property, Upton House, dating from 1695 with its magnificent paintings collected by Lord Bearsted. It also has a large garden including a 1930’s water garden. Hornton stone has been quarried for centuries from near Edgehill. As well as the local houses, the stone graces the likes of Westminster Abbey.
Club details (legal requirements etc:
Shenington Kart Racing Club Ltd is a company limited by guarantee with its registered office at Dafferns LLP, One Eastwood,Harry Weston Road, Binley Business Park, Coventry CV3 2UB.
Company Registration 2040994
(Please do not use this address for normal correspondence)
All correspondence to Company Secretary, Shenington Kart Racing Club Ltd, Stoneycroft, Godsons Lane, Napton, Southam, Warks CV47 8LX.  Tel & Fax 01926 812177.  Email:

Shenington Kart Racing Club is registered for VAT, the VAT number is 770041854
Shenington Kart Racing Club is affiliated to the Motor Sports Association and is a member of the Association of British Kart Clubs
Shenington Kart Racing Club holds Public Liability Insurance and is registered under the terms of the Data Protection Act with the ICO ( )
Any complaints or requests for information should be sent in the first instance to the Company Secretary listed above.
Shenington Kart Racing Club is a member of the Federation of Small Businesses
Circuit Information (note NO mail facilities): Shenington Airfield, Shenington, Banbury, OX15 6NW
Location: Longitude 01 28 39 W / 52 04 51 N.  Height above sea level: 625 ft.  Track length 1018m / 1211 m gearbox.  Three Alfano timing strips
Mark Williams Home Page  
Mark Williams Home Page Mark Williams Home Page